WORLDWIDE PHOTOGRAPHY
English deutche francais espanol

Old 06-05-2006, 12:27 PM
DannyITR DannyITR est déconnecté
Administrator

DannyITR has disabled reputation
Pileated comparison videos

Dave Nolin recently visited the Big Woods as part of the Cornell volunteer program. He has been persuing Ivorybills for years and is an experienced field researcher. Here he presents a series of Pileated Woodpecker videos in order to demonstrate what the Pileated looks like flying at different angles and at different speeds. You may compare this to the Luneau video of an Ivory-billed Woodpecker taken at Bayou deView in 2004 and you can post comments either here on Birdviewing.com or at Birdforum.net

http://birdviewing.com/upload/NolinPileatedVideos.wmv
Old 12-28-2006, 01:33 AM
Chris Chris est déconnecté
Administrator

Chris has never recieved a warning
2 new Nolin videos

Check out the Ivorybill center..there are 2 new Dave Nolin videos!
Old 12-28-2006, 03:21 PM
emupilot emupilot est déconnecté

emupilot has never recieved a warning
The extensive white visible from behind as the Pileated is flying is very interesting. Given the blurriness in the Luneau video, I am skeptical of using the amount of white to identify the bird as IBWO. However, the Nolin videos make clear that the Pileated flight style and wingbeat rate (as snown in other videos as well) would appear to rule out Pileated for the Luneau video. My nature is to resist turning a negative identification (NOT a Pileated) into a positive one (IS Ivory-billed). In my opinion, that's just too much to impute from too few pixels. Frankly, I always found the multiple credible sightings from competent observers (including 2 observers simultaneously) much more compelling than the Luneau video anyway.